Thursday, August 31, 2006

Los Angeles Disaster Response Wiki (LADRWiki)

LADRWiki (http://www.losangelesdisasterresponse.com) - Welcome message

"Greetings! I am the news director at KNBC, Channel 4 in Los Angeles. The purpose of this wiki is to solicit ideas for better serving the public in the aftermath of our next disaster, natural or otherwise..."

Our big quake is coming. Of that, there is no doubt.

The important thing is to prepare NOW. It's not hard, and not doing it will not keep the quake away... Make it a family project. Or a "Christmas Gift Theme." Or a end of month item. Or a "just cause I want to buy cool disaster stuff" day... Or a church project... Or anything, just as long as you get starting preparing.

Call me weird (believe me, I've been called worse), but that was my gift theme last x-mas... Disaster Preparedness. I bought many of the critical things that you just don't normally buy or think about. Red Cross Thee Day backpacks for all the cars. Boxes of 5 year fresh water and survival food. Portable sanitary systems (including privacy tents), emergency sleeping bags, shade canopy, lots of first aid stuff, extra pet supplies, etc, etc, etc.

You guys know it. You know that we'll be on our own for 3-7+ days after the big quake. You KNOW THIS. So prepare now... (If you do it now, you won't have to worry about it anymore... believe me it's a huge weight off your shoulders).

Sorry, the public service announcement is over (for now)...  ;)

(via Metroblogging Los Angeles - KNBC Southland disaster wiki)

No comments: