Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Note To Self: Send To Folder Location for Windows Vista

One of the first things I do when getting a newly installed Windows OS is to add a shortcut to Notepad in my Send To folder. This gives me a very quick and easy way to open any given file in Notepad (right click -> Send To -> Notepad).

So since I'm now doing my personal dev on Vista...  Um... where's the Send To folder now?

Given its new location I want to make sure I can find it again in the future...

Vista Send To Folder Location:
C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\

Windows XP Send To Folder Location:
C:\Documents and Settings\[UserId]\SendTo\

 

Gee, I wonder why I didn't find it right off....  :|

Here are a couple related posts/articles:

Finding the User Settings in Vista
Windows Vista Tip – Customizing the “Send To” Menu

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that is the first thing I was looking for too.

drewsonix said...

Can you not just do Start>Run and type sendto as before?

Greg said...

LOL! I learn something new every day...

I never knew about (Start/Run sendto). That's pretty cool.

I don't have access to Vista here, but will try it as soon as I get home.

Thanks for the tip!

Greg said...

Nope, entering in "sendto" (without the quotes) on my Vista Ultimate(32) doesn't work.

I get a "Location is not available" - "C:\users\Greg\SendTo is not accessible. Access is Denied" error dialog.

Which is true, I don't have a C:\users\Greg\SendTo folder (due to the magic of Vista, I believe SendTo is a virtualized folder).

When I try to manually create a SendTo folder in C:\users\Greg\ Explorer kindly tells me that the "C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\" folder will be used and the folder is not created...