Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Managing Large System Deployment and Configuration with PowerShell Paper by Scott Hanselman

Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com - Paper - Managing Large Scale System Deployment and Configuration with Windows PowerShell

"Literally 1 million years ago, as I remember it (actually around November of 2006) I wrote a paper on our Financial Services solution that uses PowerShell to manage deployment.

There were a few Channel 9 Videos on the subject and a whole category on PowerShell was born on my blog. I even did a few presentations on the topic.

...

Fast forward to darn-near August 2007. My last day at Corillian is Thursday and my first day at Microsoft is in Sept...so, here's me releasing the paper myself and phooey on all those folks who were taking so long to publish it. ..."

This is a very interesting paper, which includes how Scott and team add remote execution functionality to PowerShell (think something like PSExec for PowerShell, see this blog post, ScriptBlock and Runspace Remoting in PowerShell, for more details).

I'm still trying to digest this paper, but it looks kind of, sort of, like SMS (System Management Services) + Development (i.e. Source Control access [SVN], Build [MSBuild/NANT] and Testing [NUnit] + Deployment and Configuration)

One thing to note... This is just a paper. No referenced source code seems to be available (yet).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's real, and it's in production. Corillian won't release source because it's part of how we do business, but it's fairly simple and all the parts are there in the paper for one to write it themselves. A few people have, it's pretty cool.

Greg said...

I totally understand...

Having the paper itself is great. It's outstanding seeing how you guys solved this problem.

Thanks for taking the time to write it and for making the call to posting it...

BTW, congratulations on the new job!

Kiquenet said...

No referenced source code seems to be available (yet) ??