Thursday, January 03, 2008

Zune Video Content for Every VS Developer Interested in learning VS2008

Ronan Geraghty's Weblog - Visual Studio 2008 on my Zune

"So Santa brought me an 80GB Zune. Clare says that putting the videos from the Visual Studio 2008 Training Kit on it makes me a geek. Maybe she's right :-o, but I think it's pretty cool and there's a Zune folder in the training kit if you look closely enough!

image_thumb_2

..."

That's it. I'm buying a Zune 80 as my birthday present (my precious... ;)

Now the decision... Run out and get it now or buy it online?

I guess I can run out quickly and if it's not in stock, can get back in time to buy it online so it arrives tomorrow. That sounds like plan...  :)

Update #1 1/3/2008 @ 10:31 AM PST:
Okay, well it seems you can't buy Zune 80's at any local (Simi Valley) stores. They just don't carry them, that you can only get them online...

 

Update #2 1/4/2008 @ 9:20 AM PST:
I hate to say this, but I posted this without first looking very closely at it... And it seems the linked Training Kit download DOES NOT contain the above folder (nor any video's that I can find).

Maybe they were removed them from the download due to size constraints, or it's a version or regional thing...? (I'm betting on size reasons...)

I'm still digging around and will update this post if I find any thing.

Thanks to jbrinkman for point this out...

 

Update #3 1/4/2008 @ 4:55 AM PST:

Here's a trick that seems to work...

Now in the Zune software, add the above Channel 9 feed URL and the Zune software will download all 28 of the video's for you (make sure you set the Series Settings to "Keep: All" or mark them all for download, etc).

Done. Now you have all the video's and they are just a Sync away from your Zune...  :)

I hope this helps...

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Five Days of Training Materials for VS2008/.Net 3.5

5 comments:

Joe Brinkman said...

Ok. I have the Zune 80, but apparently the "Training September" folder does not exist in the Visual Studio 2008 training kit that you linked to.

Greg said...

Yeah, I just downloaded/installed it and don't see it either... sigh...

I wonder if it's a regional thing (since the OP is in Ireland) or maybe a version thing (hence the "September")?

There is also a comment on the original post that says someone else had the same issue (that there's no Zune folder).

I'll post a comment too and will update this post if I find anything out...

Thank you for pointing this out.

Joe Brinkman said...

BTW: I love my 80gb Zune and the 2.0 software. Much more intuitive than the iPod interface for me. I wrote a brief blog in December on my experience with the Zune and the iPod.

Greg said...

Thanks...

I've just updated this post to provide a hack/work around to get the video's :)

It seems they most (all?) were posted to Channel 9... All with a specific tag.

So they are all a Zune software -> Add Podcast -> Download -> Sync away.
(I assume the WMV's will sync to the Zune hardware... My son has his Zune 80 and mine is in the UPS truck and should be here in an hour or so... ;)

Greg said...

The Channel 9 video's from the VS2008+Training+Kit tagged
"podcast" do indeed sync with the Zune and do play just fine on it...

BUT they take a good while to do it. The WMV's need to be transcoded to play, which takes a while (i.e. it's not just a "copy to the Zune" but a "first convert it to a format compatible with the Zune and THEN copy it to the Zune" thing)

On an older machine I was able to sync all but a couple of them in about 10 hours (which is about 28+ hours or so of content... )...