Wednesday, April 14, 2010

“Guidance: A Branching strategy for Scrum Teams” – Or “How to learn to not saw off the branch you’re standing on”

Martin Hinshelwood (MrHinsh) ALM Blog - Guidance: A Branching strategy for Scrum Teams

“Having a good branching strategy will save your bacon, or at least your code. Be careful when deviating from your branching strategy because if you do, you may be worse off than when you started!

This is one possible branching strategy for Scrum teams and I will not be going in depth with Scrum but you can find out more about Scrum by reading the Scrum Guide and you can even assess your Scrum knowledge by having a go at the Scrum Open Assessment. You can also read SSW’s Rules to Better Scrum using TFS which have been developed during our own Scrum implementations.

 image …”

I don’t like how my team’s branching is implemented, and since as the Manager the buck stops with me, I’ve had a background thread to change it that’s been paused for a bit now. But I also didn’t want to invent it myself, was based on something close to a “standard” method and yet wanted something that fit our “used to be Scrum but we’re not really any more” process.

In short, this article seems to be pretty much written just for me!  :)

Now, the hard part will be finding and scheduling the time to do it. Also I wonder if it would make more sense to wait for our TFS2010 rollout (which is SO unscheduled for yet at this time, so I could be waiting for many months… sigh). I think the “hard right” answer is to do it sooner than later, the sooner the better. (cough… so, Team, if you’re reading this, start thinking about comments, suggestions and executing something like this… cough)

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Visual Studio TFS Branching Guide 2010, aka Team Foundation Server Branching Guide III, released (by guess who? Yep,the ALM Rangers…)
Team Foundation Server Branching Guidance v2 Released
Visual Studio Team System (TFS) System Guidance Codeplex Project Download Index Now Available
New Guidance in the Visual Studio Team System Guidance Project
Branching Guidance on CodePlex

New TFS & PowerShell (Beta) Posters from DRP
TFS (and many more) Posters

No comments: