Monday, April 23, 2012

SSMS Object Explorer...Details?

David Atkinson - Ever wondered what the Object Explorer Details window is for?

"Typically, when I install SQL Server Management Studio and run it for the first time, the first thing I do is to close the Object Explorer Details window. After all, it doesn’t seem to serve a useful purpose, duplicating information that already exists in the Object Explorer.

However, I have discovered that it has one important redeeming capability, the ability to allow multi-selection by holding the ctrl or shift key depressed during the selection.

image

Why is this useful?

If I want to rename an object, or indeed make any textual modification to a number of stored procedures, I can simply script as drop/create, do a search/replace, and click execute to apply the changes.

..."

Another day, another post that lets me know just how little I know. While it took a while to pry Query Analyzer from my cold dead fingers, I have been using SSMS now for a while. Yet I think this is the first time I've seen this feature. Sure it's been there in the View menu, but it just didn't click. And while I might not use this allot, it is kind of a cool feature and I do see times where this will now come in handy.

No comments: