Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Use SSMS? Sometimes "forget" what kind of server you're on, Dev/QA/Prod? You know you can color code your status bar, like turn you Prod server's status bar to red?

SQL Server Journey with SQL Authority - SQL SERVER – Color Coding SQL Server Management Studio Status Bar – SQL in Sixty Seconds #023 – Video

"I often see developers executing the unplanned code on production server when they actually want to execute on the development server. Developers and DBAs get confused because when they use SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) they forget to pay attention to the server they are connecting. It is very easy to fix this problem. You can select different color for a different server. Once you have different color for different server in the status bar, it will be easier for developer easily notice the server against which they are about to execute the script.

Personally when I work on SQL Server development, here is the color code, which I follow. I keep Green for my development server, blue for my staging server and red for my production server. Honestly color coding does not signify much but different color for different server is the key here.

...

image

..."

This is a great tip and one I'm now going to be using for every server I connect to with SSMS... This is one of those little features that might just save your bacon.

No comments: