Monday, October 21, 2013

Shining the light on 30 Code Samples, 9 Technologies and Windows Phone 8 with a SilverLight sample browser

Appsmash - 10 Great Windows Phone 8 Code Samples (No, Wait… 30)

Sometimes we don’t want to read a blog posts on a topic, we want to look at the code implementing it. Working code cuts through the confusion and explanations and gets us to the heart of the things we want to do. That’s why we should be familiar with the wealth of samples available for Windows Phone on MSDN.

There are a lot of very cool samples on MSDN covering a lot of topics. As I went through them I was so inspired, I thought a visual of the samples would be a great way to help navigate them. So I selected 30 of my favorite sample and put together this chart showing how the samples walk through different Windows Phone 8 features and technologies.

This isn’t to say there are only 30 good samples on MSDN. But I had to make a cut-off somewhere before I ended up with more information than I could reasonable show on a screen.

For an interactive version of this visual, I built a little Silverlight app

Interactive Windows Phone 8 Samples Browser

I also wanted to highlight 10 of my favorite samples from that chart.

...imageimage

Interactive Windows Phone 8 Samples Browser

image

image

image

There's about 1.97 billion code samples at http://code.msdn.microsoft.com yet this makes those for WP8 a little more discoverable and anyway, you've got to love code samples and a pretty sample browser...  :)

No comments: