Chess.com is receiving submissions from developers who are interested in developing ideas for Web sites, apps, extensions, or add-ons with a Chess.com API and support from the staff.
Currently, the developer program seems to be in the early stages — developers are required to register their ideas and interests through a Google form; however, in reading some of the comments relating to the program announcement on the blog, the response time to these requests seems slow. This could be because of high demand. The Chess.com community boasts some 8 million users, of which a percentage will also be developers who love Chess — so interest is probably keen. Further, the announcement of the developer program included some interesting developer bait such as free hosting and support.
Write Code? Like Chess? Check out our new Chess.com Developer Program!
Here is what we provide:
- Free hosting (with heroku and cloudflare)
- Domain names (we can purchase a unique domain for you, or you can use subdomain.chess.com)
- Access to our API
- Custom API requests
- Front-end support (web design help, graphics, css files, font, logos, board & piece assets, interactive board code)
- Marketing (we'll share your creation with our community)
- Product feedback & QA (get insights from our awesome team :D)
- Affiliate account (to earn $% from your creation)
So if you have an idea for a chess.com-related website, app, extension, or add-on that you would like to get some support with, fill this out and we'll get back to you soon!
Sadly, I'm not a true geek. While I know how to play, I just don't have a passion for it.
But that doesn't take away from the coolness of this... :)