Thursday, April 24, 2014

Visual Studio 2013 and getting "ID6040: The RSA key used to encrypt the RSA cookie was not found in the given decryption keys."?

I had to fire up a machine that I hadn't used in a while and why trying to use Visual Studio 2013, I got the usual "Your license has gone stale..." thing. When I tried to renew it as I have done a number of times, I got a really friendly error, "ID6040: The RSA key used to encrypt the RSA cookie was not found in the given decryption keys."

And I kept getting it...

Luckily a quick Bing brought me to this post (captured in full below, just in case);

Unable to Launch VS2013 after uninstall of VS2012

I had VS2010/2012 and 2013 premium installed.  Recently upgraded ReSharper to 8.x, only thing holding me back from using VS2013 on a daily basis.

I uninstalled VS 2012, installed ReSharper 8.x, all seemed to go just fine.

Now, when I launch VS 2013, all seems to be fine.  Except, it now prompts me with the Product Information dialog.  I get a "Your license has gone stale..." message.  I click "check for an updated license" and I get another dialog "Sorry, we ran into a problem"  "ID6040: The RSA key used to encrypt the RSA cookie was not found in the given decryption keys."

I have reinstalled VS 2013 update 1.  I have rebooted several times.  I have launched VS2013 with the /ResetSettings, and also /safemode and I still get the same dialog.

Any ideas how to get past this?  I am now shut out of my development...not a good state to be in.

Thanks

The answer, which worked great for me;

Hi ShawnEqDev,

Have you also tried the following command?

/resetuserdata

And also have you try repair Visual Studio 2013 from control panel? It would help fix some possible problems for you.

Regards,


Barry Wang

So if you get "ID6040: The RSA key used to encrypt the RSA cookie was not found in the given decryption keys." when trying to renew your VS 2013 license, give /resetuserdata a try...

For a default install, you'd run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /resetuserdata

No comments: