Sunday, January 30, 2005

Updater Application Block V2

patterns & practices: Updater Application Block: News item

"This current release of the Updater V2.0 is the Feature Complete community drop. This includes the source code for the block, 4 quick starts and the design document.

We have refactored the design and code considerably from the last release. We have added three new quick starts bringing the number of quick starts to a total of four. We have added several new post processors that could be invoked as part of the activation.

Please the read FeatureComplete_UABv2.ReadMe.doc in FeatureComplete_UABv2.zip (downloadable from the Releases section), for step-by-step details to run the quickstart and to get an understanding about the overall design of UAB v2. "


This latest Updater block also ties into/has a dependency with the new Enterprise Library.

In the past I've looked at this and the App Updater Component and went with the component due to its simpler implementation. But with this new Block it might be time to take a second look...

1 comment:

Edward said...

I was using version 1 of Application Updater Block and it did work for me a couple times until it broke and I couldn't fix it. Now Microsoft has made an extremely simple concept: "Keep my application updated" and made it so full of complexity and dependencies it makes me sad. Oh, I might use it eventually, but now that I am so turned off, it will be a very low priority for me. As of now there doesn't appear to be a good third party description of how to implement version 2 on the internet.