Monday, January 09, 2006

My GotDotNet User Sample: VB.Net Binding List With Sorting Example

GotDotNet User Sample: VB.Net Binding List With Sorting Example

SkyDrive Folder with the VB.Net Binding List With Sorting Example

"This is a simple example project in VB.Net 2005 on how to inherit from the BindingList class and overload the sorting related methods to allow sorting of custom lists of your business/domain objects.

This is a WinForm app with a DataGridView control data bound to a List (inherited from BindingList) of domain objects (actually a List of Cats... ;) Adding, deleting and sorting in the Grid is supported.

Much of the work and credit goes to others as this is as much a composite of work found on the .Net and converted to VB as it is my work.

For a little more information, please see my related blog post, http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2005/11/fun-with-bindinglistof-t-and-bindable.html" (Do I really have to quote it when it's my own work? :)

After having a couple people email me asking for a sample of my sortable binding list code from myFun with BindingList(of T) and Bindable, Sortable Collections of Domain Objects post, I decided it was time to get off my butt and finally post the code somewhere.

I wanted to write up a cool Code Project article, but just can't seem to find the time to do it right. So instead I took a bit, created a simple example project and posted it as a GotDotNet's User Sample.

Again I want to stress that I could not have done this without the outstanding code in Sorting the Unsortable Collection, by Rockford Lhotka and Custom Data Binding, Part 2, by Michael Weinhardt. They get the big cred's.

My work was just converting it to VB.Net and wrapping it into a hopefully simple to understand and reuse sample project...

Related Past Post XRef:
Fun with BindingList(of T) and Bindable, Sortable Collections of Domain Objects

Update #2 4/28/2008 @ 2:45 PM (PDT):
GotDotNet is gone, along with my sample code... sigh... :( But luckilyI had a backup copy.

For the time being I'm going to post it to a "readable by everyone" SkyDrive folder, Fun With Bindling List Source

Thank you Anna for reminding me to repost this source.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MSDN unfortunately took down Lhotka's code, Sorting the Unsortable Collection. Is there anyway you could shoot me an email of it?

craigg75 at gmail dot com

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your code. This did help me very much

georg (at) hickel.de

Anonymous said...

Nice job. Clear and efficient. I thougt to translate the c# sharp into vb but you spared me work.
Thanks again

Daniel

Kieran W said...

Thank you so much, this was very helpful to me