Tuesday, July 26, 2005

WinImage (Beta) Supports VPC VHD's

Virtual PC Guy's WebLog

"A new beta of WinImage has been released with support for viewing and editing virtual hard disks from Virtual PC and Virtual Server. You can download a copy of the beta from here:
http://www.winimage.com/beta.htm
Personally - I am really happy to see this - as I have always liked using WinImage for my virtual floppy disks and now I can use this tool for virtual hard disks too. Using this beta you can:

Copy files out of a virtual hard disk without booting up the virtual machine (if it is FAT, FAT32 or NTFS formatted)
Copy files into a virtual hard disk without booting up the virtual machine (if it is FAT or FAT32 formatted) ..."


That's pretty darn cool. I've used WinImage for about a billion years (or so) and it keeps getting better and better.

I can see a number of ways this could help me. The first thought I had, being in the EDD field, is that this looks like a great way to extract files from VHD's without spoliation of the original...

(via this.Pose() as Expert - Copying files off / onto a Virtual PC / Virtual Server hard disk w/out starting the virtual machine)

No comments: