Saturday, November 05, 2005

This is starting to really piss me off… Election Voice Spam

This coming Tuesday, November 8th, we have a special election here in California. For the past week or so our home phone has been ringing off the hook with automated recorded calls for or against the different ballot measures.

And the pace of call seems to be picking up. We’ve had five calls, just today!

And it’s really, really starting to annoy me. Today I’m starting a tally by measure and the stance the recorded caller would like us to take.

AND I WILL VOTE FOR WHO EVER CALLS ME LESS! So if I get 2 calls for Yes on Proposition 74 and 1 for No on 74, then I’m voting No on 74.

Okay, maybe I won’t go to that extreme, but I sure am getting pissed at the constant calling.

It’s not enough that every other commercial is on these propositions, my mailbox is full of ads for and against, it’s all over the radio, but now I feel my home is truly being invaded by those involved. It’s the “push” and aggressive nature of this method of pushing their agenda that has raised my hackles.

The worse part of it all there’s little I can really do about it. EXCEPT with the power of my voice here in my blog (hahaha ;) and in the casting of my vote.

These calls are nothing less than worthless voice spam and their value is like that of spam, resulting in annoyance, frustration, irritation and finally anger.

Okay… I feel better now… Thanks.   (

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, hate that crap. Getting it here too.

Anonymous said...

Yes and there's nothing you can do about it. Even putting your name on the donotcall list (www.donotcall.gov) will not relieve you since charities, political organizations, and surveys are exempt.
Mark H.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm#Exceptions

Will All Telemarketing Calls Stop If I Register?

29. If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?

No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls.

30. Are calls from political organizations or calls soliciting for charities covered?

Political solicitations are not covered by the TSR at all, since they are not included in its definition of “telemarketing.” Charities are not covered by the requirements of the national registry. However, if a third-party telemarketer is calling on behalf of a charity, a consumer may ask not to receive any more calls from, or on behalf of, that specific charity. If a third-party telemarketer calls again on behalf of that charity, the telemarketer may be subject to a fine of up to $11,000.

31. What about telephone surveys?

If the call is really for the sole purpose of conducting a survey, it is not covered. Only telemarketing calls are covered — that is, calls that solicit sales of goods or services. Callers purporting to take a survey, but also offering to sell goods or services, must comply with the National Do Not Call Registry.