Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Handy Windows Keys

John Papa - Useful Windows Key Shortcuts

"Here is a short list of some of the more valuable (IMO) WinKey combinations. OK, there are more shortcut keys than the following, but these are some of the ones I use the most that involve the mysterious "Windows Key". WinKey + D is nice when my desktop just gets too cluttered. WinKey + E is great when I need to browse my file system.

Windows Key + D
Brings the desktop to the top of all other windows.

Windows Key + M
Minimizes all windows.

Windows Key + E
Open Microsoft Explorer.


Windows Key + Tab
Cycle through open programs through the taskbar.

Windows Key + R
Open the run window.

Windows Key + L
Lock the computer (Windows XP and above only).

..."

I need to tattoo these on the back of my hand or something...  ;) 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use these constantly, and have added several of my own using Autohotkey. I've got an .ahk script that is in my startup folder that has a bunch of these keybindings to launch stuff.

So, I've got:

#c::Run calc.exe

Which runs the Windows calculator

and:

#i::Run iexplore.exe

which runs IE (as I only launch it for specific IE-specific tasks)

and others like:

#s::Run powershell.lnk

which runs a command prompt.

Basically, any time I need another one, I first use it to see if it already does something and then add it to my script.

I've also got a few that aren't tied to the window key, like F9 taking a screenshot and putting the jpg in a specific directory.

All keeps things chugging along smoothly.

Greg said...

Nice...

miChou said...

And for those of you using GoogleTalk, it seems it binds himself to the Win + Esc shortcut, which makes it visible, whether it's minimized in the systray or in the taskbar ;)