Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Microsoft Private Folder 1.0

Microsoft Private Folder 1.0

"Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 is a useful tool for you to protect your private data when your friends, colleagues, kids or other people share your PC or account. With this tool, you will get one password protected folder called ’My Private Folder’ in your account to save your personal files. Download and have your private folder today!

The following hardware and software are required to run Microsoft Private Folder 1.0:


  • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Professional Edition and Media Center Edition with SP2

..."


Truthfully, I’m not too sure how I feel about this utility.

A) As a parent I don’t want anything on any PC in the house my son uses to be hidden from review (My son and I have had a number of talks on this subject and he is fully aware that all our PC’s are "family property" and there is no expectation of privacy for any PC in the house or any PC connected to our network. Call me a hard ass, but I know all to well the dark side of the Net...)

B) Isn’t this just as easily done with a password protected ZIP file? (And with a good password encrypted zips can be a real pain to crack)

C) I want more details on just how the My Private Folder works. Is it an encrypted zip? Is it just a wrapper for NTFS ACL’s? Is it something that will truly keep the data in it private or just a lame facade?

C) It seems this is a utility for the "general masses." (i.e my Parents, Wife, Daughter, etc). People who I have to routinely help with lost passwords...

D) I do like the fact though that it IS an easy tool for the masses. I think I’d rather my wife, parents, daughter keep their stuff "locked" in something like this than to not secure it at all... (that’s besides all the other "safe PC" practices I try to preach [and follow myself])

I guess I’ll have to finish up the install (sigh... reboot seems to be required and it seems to install a service, shell extension, etc) and just see. But the included Help/CHM is only 37K (there’s no technical implementation details included)...

Here’s a snip from the help file:
"Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 is not intended to provide security against hackers. It is a utility that limits access to selected files by other people that you trust and share your computer with, such as at home with your family. Users must make sure they remember the password. Without the password, they cannot unlock the private folder and cannot access any of the files or folders it contains. Microsoft is not able to retrieve the lost files if users are unable to enter the correct password. ..."

In looking at the help a little more, I’m still not too sure what to think about it... Guess time (and what other bloggers say) will tell.

(via The Road to Know Where - Microsoft Releases Password Protected Folder Tool)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"know all to well" - in this context "to" should be spelt "too" :)

Greg said...

Thanks