Monday, September 18, 2006

Creating Code 39 Barcodes in C#

B# .NET Blog - Code 39 barcodes in C#

"Introduction

Code 39 is a specification for barcodes that allows coding of the following symbols: A-Z 0-9 - . $ / + % * space. The goal of this small project is to allow generation of barcodes using System.Drawing in .NET, with C#.

..."

In the far past (a few years ago) I was involved in a project that required barcode generation. One of the things I remember most is what a pain it was to deploy. Yes, deploy. Because it was done with the "simple" method of using a barcode font.

There wasn't time to create a setup, so the font had to be manually installed... OMG, never again. Either a setup (I know, I know... they don't take long...) or another method of barcode generation.

The font method is "okay" and easy at the time, but now it feels.. icky. It's an external moving part that I'd just rather not have to worry about. That is besides the price and licensing pain of a barcode font...

Which is why this article caught my eye...

If/when I play in barcode generation land again, I want to take a look at this approach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wrote an article about this. You can just use the function and then print it with a Code 39 font, worked like a charm for me!

Convert String to Code 39 in C#