Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Idea of the Day: Achievement Points for Gas Saving Driving Habits

When reading this post (Jim DeVries' Infrastructure and Technology BlogI'm Being Trained by my Car), this got my mental gears turning, "...At the end of each trip, the display gives you the overall MPG for the trip.  Any trip over 35MPG also garners you an "EXCELLENT!" ..."

[Compact fluorescent light bulb appears over Greg's head]

THAT would be COOL! An online "Achievement Points/Leader Board" system for gas saving driving habits.

We all know that how we drive, no matter the type of vehicle, affects the gas mileage we get.

So what I'm thinking is that our vehicle tracks our MPG. Then that data, scrubbed of course, is automatically uploaded to a portal when we get home (via a 11b/g/n, etc). That data is then used to award MPG Achievement Points... Calculate leaderboard scores, etc.

It would be very cool to have an in car notification of getting points (adding value to any built in LCD).

And the car to home wireless connection can be used for tons of other stuff too (music/movie downloads, sending maintenance data to dealership, traffic/map downloads, etc, etc, again adding value to the entire system)

Some achievements that come to mind;

  • Achieved ## MPG for the last XX miles
  • Achieved average ## MPG for last XX miles
  • Achieved ## MPG for this tank of gas (min ## gallons)
  • Haven't exceeded XX speed for XX miles
  • Achieved consistent driving speed for XX miles
  • Achieved excellent full stopped to cruising speed acceleration XX times
  • Had all gas saving features enabled for XX miles (like the Economy button in my Civic Hybrid, etc)
  • yada, yada, yada

I'm thinking a positive feedback system that helps save gas, save money and probably results in a safer driving experience for all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice idea. My car doesn't have fancy electronics and displays for calculating and presenting my MPG (or km/L in my country) but I do like to work it out myself before I refuel and try to set new records each time.

It makes me feel bad launching from line to get the best position when the traffic signals change to green because I know I've just ruined my chance of setting a new efficiency record.

Arnaud said...

Good idea, except that I won't be able to fit so much electronics on my bycicle... ;-)
Anyway, using a bike to commute I'm already achieving an MPG that's much better than any car can dream of...

Greg said...

I've love to be able to bike to work... But living in the Greater Los Angeles area, it's not really an option. ;)

My current commute is 150 miles a day (yes, 65 to work, 85 home [due to bypassing major traffic routes, etc]).

I'm telling you, with local gas prices hitting $3.29, having a Civic Hybrid is saving me tons of cash... And being able to drive in the local carpool/HOV lanes is also a HUGE plus.


One that really struck a cord with me in the Jim's post was that I also changed my driving habits when I got my Hybrid. It provides real time feedback on your current MPG and seeing it tank when I step on the gas has had a real effect on my driving habits...

Arnaud said...

It's nice seeing people making efforts to help save the planet (and their wallet ;-) ). Just continue on that way, you're doing fine!