Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Microsoft Office Outlook Connector (Think Outlook to Hotmail Connector)

Microsoft Downloads - Microsoft Office Outlook Connector

"With Outlook Connector, you can use Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003, or Outlook 2007 to access and manage your Windows Live Mail or Office Live Mail accounts, including e-mail messages, calendar, tasks, notes, and contacts.

Microsoft Office Outlook Connector enables you to use your Live Mail accounts with Outlook:

  • Read and send your Office Live Mail/Windows Live Mail/MSN e-mail through the Outlook interface
  • Manage and share your Calendar schedule.
  • Manage your Live Mail Contacts.
  • Access your Tasks and Notes.
  • Use advanced options for blocking junk e-mail.
  • Manage multiple e-mail accounts in one place.

" [Description leached in full]

I've been using this since it came out last last year and I'm here to say I am very happy with it.

Hooking Outlook to Hotmail via this Connector makes Outlook kind of think your Hotmail account is an Exchange mail server. At least as far the user can see.

Your calendar is connected between Outlook and Hotmail, yours contacts, etc. Like I was saying, it's like using Outlook with a backend email server. (i.e. like using Outlook at work, etc).

THIS is the way to go if you want to hook your Outlook to your Hotmail.

Update #1 5/17/2007 @ 3:55 PM PDT:

An important thing to note (that I missed the first time);

"...

The following is also required:

  • A paid subscription-based e-mail account from MSN Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, Office Live, or Windows Live Custom Domains

..."

So you'll need a Windows Live Hotmail Plus (fka Hotmail Plus, etc) or like paid subscription for this Connector to work.

I've had Hotmail Plus for years and didn't think about/consider/remember that when I posted this. My bad and my apologies.

(via The Road to Know Where - Microsoft Launches Windows Live Hotmail)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't seems to Sync my emails...

Seems to be some kind of issue, Can you confirm that its still working for you.

Thanks

Greg said...

It's working for me at this point in time at least (it's how I got the notice you commented ;)

Anonymous said...

Which version are you using? I have tried the connector from MS website, no luck...

It says, "Subscription Required" Very weird...

Greg said...

I'm using version 1.8.3501.0 (according to the About box).

Now I do also have a Hotmail Plus account ($19.95 bucks a year for extra storage [4gb], no ad's and bigger attachments was worth it for me.).

Taking another look on the download page I now see it says (I missed this the first time or I would have made a note of it in the post);
"The following is also required: A paid subscription-based e-mail account from MSN Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, Office Live, or Windows Live Custom Domains "

Anonymous said...

Weird... I have exactly the same...

Windows Live Custom Domains e-mail with Hotmail Plus Account...

Maybe it doesn't like Custom Domains...

This is puzzling...

Thanks for your reply Greg!

Anonymous said...

I used to subscribe to Outlook live and MS downgraded my Hotmail account to an MSN Plus Account. Ever since then the Outlook Connector does not work. I have contacted multiple times about the problem and despite the download page stating that it will work with MSN Plus, MS representatives insist that I must upgrade my account to MSN Premium to be allowed access to this feature that was taken away from me! When I requested to have my Outlook live subscription restored I was told that it was no longer offered, though I received a CD with the latest Outlook Live software (including a licensed copy of outlook 2007) yesterday in the mail! So to make a long story short, this connector may or may not work for you. It depends on how your account is limited by MS (and there is no rhyme or reason to who gets what) and how incompetent a representative you get on phone or email (and EVERY MS rep I have ever been in contact with has either been EXTREMELY incompetent or pretends to be so that they don't have to address any real questions.)

Anonymous said...

Manage all your email accounts with ease
Outlook Connector beta provides a free solution for managing your Windows Live Hotmail e-mail and contacts from within Outlook.
With the new release of the Outlook Connector beta, you can connect your Windows Live Hotmail account in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2003 free of charge. (coming soon).

So I guess that it will b free in the near future....

this was taken from:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx