Sunday, June 24, 2007

RSSReporter - SQL Server Job Status via RSS Feeds

xSQL Software - RSS Reporter

"...

  • Generate standard RSS feeds containing SQL Server job information
  • Aggregate information about multiple jobs from different servers
  • Drill down on a job to see the details of the execution
  • Access feeds anytime from any connected device
  • Filter and sort feeds by status, execution time, etc.
  • Supports SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2000.

RSS Reporter for SQL Server is a simple, yet extremely useful, tool that allows SQL Server database administrators to generate standard RSS Feeds containing information regarding SQL Server jobs (SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2000) – the current status of the job, job details, historical status etc.

..."

I'm not sure when I'll be able to actually install and play with this, but I REALLY dig the idea behind this package. I've been saying for a while that the enterprise, inside the firewall, is the next place for RSS/Web feeds.

Internal Feeds will not replace real-time notifications, but for those things that do not require real-time, Feeds are a great (perfect?) idea.

Think about Windows error logs, drive space reports, med/low priority security audit reports, usage reporting, mailbox quotas, TFS Build reports, weekly/daily bug reports, Web utilization reports, etc, etc.

Too much stuff goes into our inboxes today. I want to be able to opt-in to arrogated internal enterprise feeds.

I want my users to be able to pick and choose what information they want today and to be able to easily drop it tomorrow if it no longer applies. I want to make it easy for that information to be grouped into folders/etc so they can focus on the areas of interest to them "right now" and let them get to the other things when they have time too. I don't want information lost in their inbox pile. I want the reading to be easy and intuitive. I want it to be easy to setup, both client and server... Sounds like I want internal Feeds, doesn't it? ;)

And internal Feeds means you don't have to "discuss" opening outbound ports for SMTP, etc with your IT/Security group. ;)

Anyway, RSS Reporter is free, but according to the web site, only for a limited time (the free version is free, fully functional, no limits, etc)

(via Larkware News - The Daily Grind 1168)

No comments: