Friday, July 06, 2007

Blogger Backup v1.0.2.7 Released (Bug Fixes)

I've just released a new version, v1.0.2.7, of my Blogger Backup utility. This is a bug fix release, with no new functionality added.

The primary fix is that it now better handles Blog Titles containing characters that cannot be used in a folder name (like : < > ? * etc).

It also better handles "Stop" events when it's in the middle of a retry loop (Retrying to get comments, etc, now should exit correctly when Stop is clicked).

Thanks to Lisa (Speak Schmeak: things I'm thinking about speakers and speaking) and rupakg for their bug reports and help squashing them...

 

As for future new features, I'm working on a better path and post naming method. (Work Item #10840)

Then comes the major work on new output formats...

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Blogger Backup 1.0.1.6 Released (and status change from Alpha to Beta)
Blogger Backup 1.0.0.5 Alpha Released
Blogger Backup v1.0.0.2 Alpha Release
Blogger Backup v1.0.0.1 Alpha Release
Blogger Backup Utility v1.0.0.0 Alpha Released
Blogger Backup using the C# GData Client Library...

2 comments:

GigaBytes said...

If you will to lost your entire blog, can you use the utiltiy or the backup you have made to restore your blog. There are no mentioning of restoring them to your blog platform here http://www.codeplex.com/bloggerbackup

Greg said...

Currently it's a backup only solution (i.e. no built in restore yet).

Restore is about the most common question I'm getting (next to more customizable path support and output formats), so I've begun to think about adding some kind of restore ability.

I doubt I'll be able to provide complete restore in a single operation as I believe Blogger has something like a 50 posts a day limit (to avoid splogs) but I think I'll be able to do SOMETHING to restore some posts.

The main issue is the Blogger doesn't have a method to mass import/add/etc posts. It would have to be one at a time, and that's where their 50 post limit comes into play.

Plus when I provide BlogML output, some other blog engines can import that (i.e. restoring to another blog provider, which is my primary reason for looking into/providing BlogML).


Thanks,
Greg