Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hero's Happen Here Global Launch event in Los Angeles Report

It was good... Great in fact for the price...

Nothing earth shattering, but still pretty cool. Tom Brokov open the keynote with an interesting 30 minute talk. A reminder that there's a world outside our cubes and data centers, a world that we can help to make better.

Then Mr Ballmar came out and handled the rest of the keynote (but no "Developer, developer, developer! "). The presentation was smooth and polished. Almost a little too polished? Very little spontaneity, and felt like a well rehearsed stage show. Which I guess it was, so I'm not sure what I'm whining about, it just felt a little to slick... to much like an infocommercial. But then again, Microsoft seems to be held to a higher standard so if they had come out with an impromptu, less rehearsed and slick show, then that would have caused comment too...

Nothing "new" announced, which makes sense. I'm sure "new, cool stuff announcements" are being saved up for Mix (Though Scott G. has already posted about some very cool Silverlight 2 Beta 1 stuff)

The swag was nice, with good bit of cool vendor swag, an interesting Hero's Happen Here coffee table book (11" x 13"), 1 year evals of Windows Server Enterprise 2008, SQL Server 2008 CTP 5 (Nov 2007) with a code to get an eval for the RTM version, and Visual Studio 2008 Standard.

The breakouts where good and well presented. The only issue was that the rooms were way to small for the turnout. The first breakout I went to on the Dev track, the room was very full (and the guy sitting next to me was making me crazy... the joy of conferences...) so I moved over to the Data track. As I left the room, there was a line stretching a good way down the hall and around the corner and then down that hall... A very long line to an already full room.

In the end, my change to the Data track was a great move. I'm pretty up to speed on the coolness in VS2008, but much less so SQL 2008. And in the sessions I attended I learned a number of things where SQL Server 2008 can help me solve the problems I'm having today (so it kills me that I have to wait 6 months for it... sigh... ).

What coolness did I learn about in SQL 2008 that I haven't blogged about before?

Transparent, out of band auditing (think compliance). Transparent encryption, transparent page/row compression and cross server policy application (i.e. make sure all the servers are configured the same and nag if they are not, automagically). That's just the start...

Perfect show? Na... There were too many people in too little a space (then again I hate crowds, so take that with a grain of salt...). If you were a noob to MS conferences, you didn't know to grab lunch, and a seat, early. To keep an eye open for the hidden lunch/seating places where you can avoid the major crowds. You didn't know to go to the conference swag booth first (i.e. avoid the initial vendor swag rush, bypassing it to get the conference swag). You didn't know to get to the sessions early to get a seat. To sit on the offside of the room, on the row next to the wall so if you have to escape from the guy behind you who's chatting with three of his friends throughout the presentation and the guy next to you who desperately needs to blow his nose, it's easy. To skip the vendors until the middle of the first or second breakout to avoid the rush and have time to actually talk to someone. Same for the Microsoft Pavilion... Pretty much all usual conference and breakout room stuff...

Still I have to say given the price I paid to attend ($14 for the train ticket) it was a very good day. I came away with some great information that was new to me, talked to a few MS people and ask some questions face to face, geek-out with a number of new people and not have to drive anywhere. Yeah, it was a good day and a great deal... Thank you Microsoft.

 

Sigh, but no one stopped me in the hall and said, "Hey are you Greg, of Greg's Cool Thing of the Day blog...?" (Which I guess is good as it would have kind of freaked me out... LOL)

16 comments:

Borek Bernard said...

Maybe it was because it's just too long to say "Hey are you Greg, of Greg's Cool [Insert Clever Name] of the Day blog...?" :)

Anyway, your blog is superb, one of my favorites. Keep up your great work!

Regards,
Borek

Greg said...

LOL... yeah, you're probably right. That's what I get for trying to be clever with my blog new... sigh... lol

:)

And thanks the comment/support. I'm glad you like it...

Anonymous said...

Greg, could you clarify the swag contents? It reads as if you get an EVAL Server 2008, an EVAL SQL Server, a code to get an EVAL for RTM SQL Server -- and Non-Eval VS2008 Standard. Did I get that right? The write-up at heroeshappenhere states "walk away with versions of all three products" but by versions they mean expiring versions -- this is less that what I anticipated. Care to comment?

Greg said...

Carl,
Yep, you summarized it up about right.

a) Appreciation Voucher for SQL Server 2008 Standard
One complimentary evaluation-only copy of SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition when released. No eval timeframe listed.

b)Windows Server 2008 Enterprise (32/64)
One year evaluation license

c) Visual Studio 2008 Standard.
Full, complete, non-eval

d) SQL Server 2008 Developer (CTP5)
Time bombed (since it's a CTP)

BUT, in checking my bag, there's also...

e) Windows Vista DVD (with SP1).
Not for Resell, promotional copy (i.e. full, working, non-eval/timebombed copy of Vista it seems?)

f) SQL Sever 2008 Resource DVD

g) Windows Server 2008 Readiness Jump-start kit DVD

h) Expression Studio Eval edition

Plus the stuff from vendor's...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification. I would have preferred VS2008 PRO but they're pretty close. The Vista DVD is interesting -- with SP1 is great because it takes longer to apply SP1 than install Vista initially. But the Vista Version (Business, Ultimate, etc) is based on the unlock key. Did they give you a key with that Vista DVD?

Greg said...

They give you a PIN, which you use to register, after which they email you a Windows Vista Ultimate Product Key

"Here is your product key:
Microsoft© Windows Vista Ultimate
..."

I've emailed the "if you have questions" address in the email to see if it's a eval/time bombed/trial version or a full and complete one... If/when I hear back I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Greg. So you got a PIN for a voucher for a key to Vista Ultimate. ... ?-) ... Well, it's ultimately Vista Ultimate so no complaints here. Thanks for taking time to dig through your bag of swag to appease my selfish curiosity. I just wanted to make sure taking a vacation day would be "worth it" if you know what I mean.

Greg said...

Just to be sure we're clear... I got a DVD with the bits and a PIN to get the Product Key (which comes very fast via email).

I'm glad I could help... Have fun (if you go :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will be attending the San Antonio event tomorrow. The final confirmation email arrived today with a barcode. The wording, to me at least, gives the impression that actual, non-expiring versions will be distributed. I'll post the exact verbiage and let others comment on whether they feel the wording is misleading. This is the exact verbiage from my confirmation email:

PRODUCT GIVEAWAYS

By attending the Microsoft Heroes Happen Here: 2008 Launch Events, you will take home a promotional kit including Windows Server® 2008 operating system, Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008, and Microsoft Visual Studio® 2008. Please note that all kits must be claimed at the event, no exceptions.

Anonymous said...

Hi All,

I super curious about these events. My main question is "What is the cost to go to an event?"

It sounds like fun for a newbie like me.

djkevo

Greg said...

Free, no cost.

Go to www.heroshappenhere.com for more information and to register...

Anonymous said...

I'm attending the Seattle launch event April 1st and had a question regarding registration and eval products. I received my email with the barcode today and it states all products must be claimed at event, which if course is expected. My agenda states Registration and breakfast between 8 and 9am.

My question is; do you have to be there to register at that time and do you receive your freebies then? I might have arrive a little later than the 8-9am registration due to work, but does this mean I do not get to register and receive my free eval software?

Greg said...

For the LA event, the goodies/swag bag was available after the key note... And they were handed out separately from the registration process.

So I believe you should be okay...

But your mileage may vary and each event/venue is different, so it's really hard to say.

But still I'd say you're going to be okay if you're a little late...

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

could anyone mind to share with me that did you all get the 64 bits Vista Ultimate? The DVD i got stated "This disc only contains 32 bits software". Anyone has tried installed?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I attended the event in Utah and enjoyed it a lot.

So, what happens in a year after I install Windows Server 2008? Will it stop working or am I simply in violation of the EULA??

Thanks,
Stephen
smlong426@yahoo.com

Greg said...

I believe it will work like the normal trials/timebombs and stop working...