Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Simi Valley Trails - "Long Canyon Loop"

For the last month and half I've started taking evening walks. Trying to get into a little better shape, help relieve stress, to try to create a basic change in my life style (which includes my eat habits... lost about 15 pounds so far :) and to just better use my time (as I can walk and listen to podcasts at the same time... let's hear it for multitasking.. much better than sitting on my butt watching the idiot box or getting caught in a webfeed loop... ;).

First I just walked around the neighborhood. Now I've started hitting the many hiking trails near home.

Last night I hit the Long Canyon Trail and wow, that was a nice, nearly three mile hike. Talk about some great views as I hit the mountain tops (I'll take pictures next time). I'm telling you, I really love my home town, Simi Valley. It's just beautiful and yet still within commute distance of the greater Los Angeles area.

Anyway, last night I was playing with the route widget on http://maps.live.com and thought I'd log and share the route I took. I'm calling it the Long Canyon Loop, as it lets you start and end at the trail head parking location. Depending the minor route changes you make it's between 2.6 and 3 miles. Dirt road and trails. Fairly well used by horses, bikers and hikers. Took me about an hour.

If you want a kick, check out the route in the 3D viewer. LOL... There were some serious inclines... (and I'm feeling every inch of them today  ;)

Next I'll have to route and post the pictures from last week's Mt McCoy hike (where I took tons of pictures  ;)

 

For more information about trails near Simi the Rancho Simi Trailblazers is a nice site...

No comments: