NoReplyAll Updated (Since I last installed it at least...) - Also see related the seven part "How it was built" series
The primary function of this add-in is to add a couple of buttons to the Outlook ribbon to prevent people from replying to all the recipients of your message or forwarding it. The add-in uses a facility built into Outlook and Exchange that is more lightweight than information-rights management but is not exposed in the existing UI. The add-in also includes a check for common email errors, such as omitting attachments or subject lines.
File Name: NoReplyAllAddin.zip
Date Published: 28 July 2011
Download Size: 0.63 MB
Change history summary
2.3.3: improved buttons; ability to re-enable (and disable) functions on receipt; improved missing attachment detection.
2.1.0: added (optional) no-reply button; improved missing attachment detector (shouldn't be fooled by HTML stationery now).
2.0.1: the buttons now work for non-English installations of Outlook; allow new messages to default to reply-all off; ignore embedded images when checking for attachments.
Over the past few weeks, I've described the steps involved in creating an Outlook add-in, including ribbon manipulation and access to the Outlook object model. To wrap up, the table of contents for the VSTO add-in project:
- Introduction - creating a VSTO project
- Ribbon XML - creating some add-in UI
- Outlook object model - manipulating Outlook from the ribbon controls
- More buttons - tuning the UI
- Other ribbons - the different ribbons in Outlook
- Backstage - property pages, etc.
- Installation - creating a deployable package
There are many other examples of the use of VSTO, as a quick web search will tell you..."
It's funny how your email habits, wants and needs change over time. For the longest time I was a huge fan of Reply All. I felt it kept me in the loop, allowed me to see a conversation flow, to chime in as needed and to leave the judgment call to me if I felt a thread warranted closer attention. Now I'm coming around to the feeling that the "Big R" is the root of all evil and must be stomped in order to save humanity. I only have so many minutes left in my life and just don't need to invest them in email threads where I have no part nor add any value. I'm willing to miss the 5% where I might add value, to avoid the other grey 95%.
So when reminded of this utility, and with the knowledge that my organization has moved to Outlook 2007+, I think it's time to give this add-in another go. Just doing my part to save humanity and all that... :P
Related Past Post XRef:
NoReplyAll Outlook Addin - Flips the bit