Tuesday, October 11, 2011

NoReplyAll Updated (Since I last installed it at least...) - Also see related the seven part "How it was built" series

NoReplyAll Outlook Add-In - NoReplyAll Outlook Add-In (Download)

"image

The primary function of this add-in is to add a couple of buttons to the Outlook ribbon to prevent people from replying to all the recipients of your message or forwarding it. The add-in uses a facility built into Outlook and Exchange that is more lightweight than information-rights management but is not exposed in the existing UI. The add-in also includes a check for common email errors, such as omitting attachments or subject lines.

Download Details

File Name: NoReplyAllAddin.zip
Version: 2.3.3
Date Published: 28 July 2011
Download Size: 0.63 MB

...

Change history summary

2.3.3: improved buttons; ability to re-enable (and disable) functions on receipt; improved missing attachment detection.

2.1.0: added (optional) no-reply button; improved missing attachment detector (shouldn't be fooled by HTML stationery now).

2.0.1: the buttons now work for non-English installations of Outlook; allow new messages to default to reply-all off; ignore embedded images when checking for attachments.

..."

A code monkey in Research - NoReply VSTO add-in wrap-up

Over the past few weeks, I've described the steps involved in creating an Outlook add-in, including ribbon manipulation and access to the Outlook object model. To wrap up, the table of contents for the VSTO add-in project:

There are many other examples of the use of VSTO, as a quick web search will tell you..."

It's funny how your email habits, wants and needs change over time. For the longest time I was a huge fan of Reply All. I felt it kept me in the loop, allowed me to see a conversation flow, to chime in as needed and to leave the judgment call to me if I felt a thread warranted closer attention. Now I'm coming around to the feeling that the "Big R" is the root of all evil and must be stomped in order to save humanity. I only have so many minutes left in my life and just don't need to invest them in email threads where I have no part nor add any value. I'm willing to miss the 5% where I might add value, to avoid the other grey 95%.

So when reminded of this utility, and with the knowledge that my organization has moved to Outlook 2007+, I think it's time to give this add-in another go. Just doing my part to save humanity and all that... :P

(via Lessons Learned - No Reply All)

 

Related Past Post XRef:
NoReplyAll Outlook Addin - Flips the bit

No comments: