Thursday, January 05, 2012

What's old is new again? Building a RSS Reader for Windows 8

Visual Studio Magazine - Building a Windows 8 RSS Reader

"Back in October I covered the basics of the Windows Runtime and how to access it from .NET. Since readers have asked for more, I've decided to revisit the Windows Runtime, leveraging it to create a Windows 8 Metro-Style application.

The application is an RSS reader that utilizes WinRT. I'll go in depth on how to build the application from scratch. Along the way, you'll learn how to bind data to a form using XAML and consume an RSS feed using WinRT.

The first order of business is to download the VisualStudio 11 DeveloperPreview. Next is the project structure setup. I opened Visual Studio 11, seen in Figure 1, and created a new C# Metro app through File-> New Project. I've named my project VSMWinRTDemo.UI.

...

image..."

Remember when writing a RSS reader was the old "Hello World/Demo app?" Given then nature of Windows 8 Metro Style Apps (i.e. all network, all the time, limited local store, connected apps, etc), we might be seeing more RSS Hello's in the coming months...

No comments: