Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Mouse Without Borders and Win8 CP? Yep, once you get .Net 2.0 installed... (and here's a couple tips how)

Cloud Security, Privacy and Reliability... - Mouse Without Borders and Windows 8 Consumer Preview

"I have blogged about using Mouse Without Borders before, but today after installing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my system I wanted to see if I could get Magic Mouse running. While the computer I installed it on has a basic touch screen, I wanted to put a mouse and keyboard on the device, but not clutter up my desk even more than it is. So…

The first thing I discovered is that Mouse Without Borders requires the .Net Framework 2.0. For those who have not yet discovered it, the .Net framework 2.0 is not enabled by default in Windows 8 CP. There are a few solutions to resolve this..

1: Using an installer that tries to download the .NET framework will trigger Windows 8 CP to try to enable the component automatically.  ...

2: If you go to Control Panel.. Programs.. Get Programs and select “Turn Windows Features on or off”, you will see the “.NET Framework 3.5 (include .NET 2.0 and 3.0)” ...

3: To enable .NET Framework 3.5 using a Flash drive (or DVD): ... Dism.exe ...

...

Mouse Without Borders installed and worked wonderfully after that. Just remember to use the same version of the Mouse Without Borders software on all machines…

image..."

Luckily Method 2 above worked for me, but I thought the method 3 was interesting and one I might be able to use in the future...

 

Related Past Post XRef:
"Mouse without Borders" utility from Microsoft Garage (Software KVM + Shared Clipboard + Files) - Think "Input Director/Synergy" from Microsoft [Note: Prototype and free for non-commercial use only)

No comments: