Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Wax poetic with this new WiX Setup Project Editor, called, you guessed it, Wax

Wax - The WiX Setup Project Editor

An interactive editor for WiX setup projects.

This tool is a Visual Studio Extension that lets you edit the core part of WiX setup projects - the files to be installed. This is the most fiddling work when creating or maintaining a setup project, so this tool concentrates simply on this task.

Just select the projects that you want to install in the list box on the left side.

Two data grids on the right will show you the target directories needed and files to be installed, and how they are mapped to the file nodes in your WiX setup project.

  • Files that have no corresponding item in the WiX setup project are show in red. You can add the to the setup project by clicking the '+' button in the rightmost column.
  • Files that already exist in the setup project are shown in yellow. You can link them together by clicking the '?' button in the rightmost column.
  • Files that already exist in the setup project but have multiple matches are shown in orange. You can link items together by selecting the proper file from the combo box.

 

image

That's always been one of my learning curve issues with WiX that there's no GUI. Yeah, yeah, I know it's supposed to be for uber setups and only noobs need setup building GUI's. Well heck, I guess I'm a noob then!

My name is Greg and I like Setup GUI's! SO THERE!

I just don't build them often enough to have WiX memorized and sometimes I just need a click, click, give me a setup, click, click thing...

Now this project isn't quite that, but it's a good step toward it.

No comments: