Marmalade, a Windows platform middleware partner, just released a new version of their popular SDK. The Marmalade SDK enables developers to deploy code across multiple platforms and devices from a single code base. The new 7.3 SDK release brings new capabilities for Windows 8 and 8.1 and Windows Phone 8 across all license types, including Community licenses. And for new users, the SDK will be available for no license fee. Existing users with Indie, Plus or Pro licenses will get a free upgrade.
The addition of the Extension Development Kit for Windows Store (both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 apps), enables developers to access Windows managed and native APIs, plus integration with advertising and social networks.
The prior Marmalade SDK 7.2.1 release provided support for features such as Accelerometer, Audio, Compression, Video, and more. Just a few enhancements in this release include APIs to access:
- Device camera UI and ability to capture frame data
- Device’s magnetic compass reading
- Facebook website via Facebook Connect
- Get the full list here
In addition, this release includes an ads-in-apps extension that support monetization through the Microsoft Advertising SDK or AdDuplex SDK.
Today we are excited to announce the release of Marmalade 7.3.
Headlining this release we have:
- Enhanced support for Windows Store platform
- Multi-touch support for Windows Desktop platform
- OpenGL ES 3.0 support for iOS, Android and Windows Desktop platforms
- OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenAL 1.1 support for Marmalade Juice
- GCC 4.8 support for building x86 and ARM application binaries
- Hub support for simultaneous x86 and ARM deployment packaging on Android platform
- iOS 7.1 framework support
- ARM architecture variant support
Over the next few days we will be going into a bit more detail on some of these so look out for further blog entries.
Along with the new features above, we’ve squished a few pesky bugs and made a bunch of other smaller changes to improve your overall Marmalade experience.
And the best news? Starting with the 7.3 release, Marmalade is now free for new users!
These guys are my Build Conference Buddies, and I've been giving them hell for years now about not having a all-the-time free version of their SDK. Since they now have one, I guess it's only fair to give them a shout-out.... :)