Google has produced an 80-page booklet to help and encourage developers to publish apps on Google Play. You can download it as pdf or from Google Play, or even request a printed copy sent by mail.
The final option, which involves filling out a form, only applies if you are in the US or the UK. Only a limited number of copies are available and once the supply is exhausted the form will no longer be accessible.
Although the booklet is free, any download from Google Play requires you to provide a payment method. This has led to negative comments from devs who have experienced problems. Other criticisms are the the font sizes are small, requiring zooming on many devices.
So the trouble-free option is the pdf, although even here the use of color makes it slow to download and render and less easy to read.
So much criticism of a freebie!
So what doe it have to offer?
The guide is separated into the following sections:
- Publishing on Google Play — using the Google Play Developer Console to distribute your app to over 1 billion Android users worldwide.
- Quality — The fundamentals of building a great app and an insight into the Google Play guidelines and policies.
- Discoverability & reach — Maximizing your app's discoverability and reaching the widest audience possible.
- Engagement & retention — Converting installations into active users and improving user retention.
- Monetization — Monetization strategies to generate ongoing, growing revenue streams.
- Measurement with Google Analytics — Understanding your users and improving your app experience, conversions, and marketing.
- Going global — Launching your app in local markets around the world.
Download the guide now in English (PDF, 11MB) or get it on Google Play. We’ll release the guide in more languages in the coming months. If you’re in the US or the UK, we also have a limited number of printed copies that we are offering to send for free. Request a printed copy here.
Now that Android dev is that much easier in VS 2015, thought this guide might come in handy for many of you...