Wednesday, July 14, 2004

NxBRE (.NET Business Rule Engine)

NxBRE

"NxBRE is the first open-source rule engine for the .NET platform and a lightweight Business Rules Engine (aka Rule-Based Engine) that offers two different approaches:
* the Flow Engine, which uses XML as a way to control process flow for an application in an external entity. It is basically a wrapper on C#, as it offers all its flow control commands (if/then/else, while, foreach), plus a context of business objects and results. It is a port of JxBRE v1.7.1 (SourceForge Project from Sloan Seaman) to .NET's Visual C#.

* the Inference Engine, which is a forward-chaining (data driven) deduction engine
and that supports concepts like Facts, Queries and Implications (as defined in
RuleML 0.8 Datalog) and like Rule Priority, Mutual Exclusion and Precondition
(as found in many commercial engines). ...
...
NxBRE is released under LGPL license in order to allow users to legally build commercial solutions that embed NxBRE."
GRRR.... More stuff I have to look at. :)

I REALLY could use a good rules engine in some of my .Net projects. Looks like I've found my weekend coding project.

(Via Larkware-The Daily Grind 417 [He links ALL the cool stuff :)])

Update #1 6/20/2007:
A commenter pointed out that I quoted the entire homepage site, but didn't make it clear that it was a complete leached copy... And they had a good point. I usually don't leach an entire page/description without making it clear that I did so.

So I've toned down the description I pulled and made sure it was clear it was quoted text (using the blockquote instead of just the quotes ["] that were there before).

2 comments:

Brianedow said...

How did you coding project go? I am also looking to use this NxBRE. I have a few questions, which you might be able to answer.

Do you have an example of a rule using Database?
Do you see an issue with a rule to load a file each time it needs to run?
Do know of a good souce of RuleML sample/example?

Greg said...

I'm sad to say that I've got distracted and havn't been able to play with this as much as I would have liked to. (i.e. I can't answer your questions...)

I wish I could have helped more...