Monday, February 21, 2005

System.IO.Compression (.Net 2.0)

System.IO.Compression: "The Compression namespace contains classes that provide basic compression and decompression services for streams. "

While reading Introducing Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 for Developers I came across a mention (short one) about the new System.IO.Compression namespace.

I find that namespace/functionality VERY cool. Sure 3rd party compression assemblies/code samples have been available since about .Net day -2. But the fact that it's now part of the framework, that I can be assured that it will always be available is what I find pretty darn cool.

There are a number of places where I can see that I might be using it. Mostly to save space in my databases by compressing the data prior to posting it... I deal with a good bit of data (tens of millions of rows), so saving some bytes here and there could make a big difference. As much in the network utilization as in the DB.

Also I'm thinking security. Compress THEN encrypt... :)

No comments: