Saturday, August 27, 2005

My California Clean Air Decal's Came Today

Yeah! My CA Clean Air Decals just came in the mail today for my Honda Civic Hybrid. It only took two weeks from putting the form and $8 check into the snail mail to getting the decals. That is a good turn around…

So now, I can drive in the car pool/diamond lanes when I am the car’s only occupant. It would be REALLY cool if my commute included more car pool lanes…  (

For my 140-mile+ daily commute, only 30’ish of them have a car pool lane. Moreover, that freeway, the 118-Ronald Regan Freeway (a.k.a. Ronald Regan Speedway), runs fast (in the direction I’m going at the times I’m hitting it a least).

Still, the decals are another benefit of having a hybrid, beyond the savings at the pump. The premium I paid for it is quickly paying me back. Having the car for a year and a half now, I still have no regrets (except that it wasn’t built in the US or by a US automaker...)

Related Post X-Ref:
Honda to lease fuel cell vehicles to U.S. individuals

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day Greg, you mention a "140-mile+ daily commute"...how long does that take you each day?

That kind of distance is huge - do many others you work with have the same type of commute? The longest commute by anyone in my department is 1 hour (40 or so miles), and we think *that's* a long way!

Greg said...

Yeah, it's pretty extreme. I think I hold the distance record at work, but some of the people come close (100'ish mile daily commutes). Welcome to Southern California...

Luckily I work an early shift, starting my work day at 6am, so in the morning it only takes me a little over an hour to drive in (that's driving freeway+ speeds). Of course that means waking up at 4am, so I can hit the road by 5am... sigh

When I leave work in the afternoon, the traffic is a little worse, and the fastest drive home is an hour and a half, minimum.

But when it rains, all bets are off. Being in Los Angeles, the just rain freaks us out. My record drive home time is 3 hours (for a 4 hour daily commute. About the length of time I've made it from LA to Vegas).

I have all sorts of back and side routes all mapped and on call for for about any traffic situation. Some call for more miles, but have less traffic. Some are to avoid common traffic bottlenecks. And some just cause I like looking at the houses. lol

This commute is pretty insane, but I love living in Simi Valley, so it just is what it is...

And I do some of my best designing/programming during the long drives. :)

Anonymous said...

Are you in Orange County?

Greg said...

Yep... In Cypress, http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?cp=33.802918|-118.027798&style=h&lvl=18&sp=adr.6032%20Katella%20Ave%2C%20Cypress%2C%20CA%2090630&v=1

Anonymous said...

Now *that* is a commute.

I'm not sure whether to feel impressed or sorry for that commute!

Well, you seem pretty chipper about it, so I'll be impressed. ;-)

Greg said...

:)