Saturday, December 03, 2005

Visual Basic (and C#, J#, XML) Code Snippet Editor

Visual Basic Code Snippet Editor

"Are you eager to produce your own Visual Basic Code Snippets but prefer not to think in terms of angle brackets? The Visual Basic Snippet Editor is a Windows Forms application with UI for creating, editing, testing VB code snippets. You can specify snippet code and metadata (e.g., title, author, description, keyboard shortcut), replacement variables, and referenced assemblies. You can preview your snippet as it will appear when inserted into the code window, and you can even test whether it will compile. ..."

Sometimes (well many times) I feel stupid...

I wanted to create some of my own snippets. So I did a little R&D, found the XML spec, and crafted them... in notepad.

Okay, using notepad for xml can be fun, but doing it once was enough. After doing it three times, I was done...

Then just now I happened across the VB Snippet Editor. Talk about a "smack myself in the head" moment... The Snippet editor sure makes creating and testing a whole lot easier!

It defaults to VB Snippets, but via its Options dialog (top right toolbar button, next to the Help), you can turn on/enable C#, J# and XML snippet trees.

No comments: