Monday, September 18, 2006

SolutionZipper - VS2005 Addin to Clean and Zip in One Step

CodeProject - SolutionZipper: VS2005 Addin Cleans and Zips a Solution in One Step

"The code described in this article provides a simplified version of these add-ins. Specifically, SolutionZipper has a single-click-does-everything interface, which is what automation is all about -- saving time. There are no dialogs that present file lists, file names to be chosen, or user options to select. SolutionZipper does the following in a single step:

  1. Saves all unsaved project files.
  2. Cleans all available solution configurations (Debug, Release, etc.).
  3. Cleans all Deployment Projects.
  4. Zips all files in the entire solution:
    • The zip file is uniquely named: SolutionName_YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.zip
    • The paths for all files are solution directory relative.
    • The zip file is placed at the same level as the solution directory.

..."

Nice.

(BTW this project is at v1.2 which was released yesterday, 9/17)

Now that I'm been able to start releasing some of my private/personal projects (like my WLW Text Template Plugin, etc) this will come in handy.

I'm currently playing the "Build/Clean/etc" game prior to zipping and releasing and it's just one thing I'd rather not have to remember. One click sounds cool... 

And if this one doesn't float your boat, check out the other two similar projects that Robert mentioned;

ProjectZip 1.6 - Zip up the source code for your latest CodeProject article

ZipStudio - A versatile Visual Studio add-in to zip up Visual Studio solutions and projects

(via .Net Adventures - A convenient tool for quick solution back-ups.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How's it working for you? I've been looking at different solutions for this.

Greg said...

I'd like to say I've tried it "for real" and am using it...

But the root driver for me to use this has done away.

The project I was going to use this on most I've moved to CodePlex so I'm not solution zip game much.

Sorry, I wish I could have been of more help...