Wednesday, May 30, 2007

WLW Beta 2 Notes

Notes:

  • VERY NICE (but now I'm going to nit-pick ;)
  • Install/upgrade (on vista) was smooth.
    (I ran the Install exe as Admin)
  • Why does the WLW Install want to change my IE Home Page? I hate that
    (Easy enough to uncheck, and I understand this is a free, not even ad supported application, but still...)
  • Remember to turn "Checking spelling before posting" back on.
  • Backup your Ping Servers list before upgrading to beta 2
    (as my Ping list is now empty and I have to try to reconstruct it. Got to love betas  ;)
  • Beta 1 plugins seem to work okay Beta 2
    (so far at least, though I do have one, my WLW Picture Post plugin, that now causes WLW to report an error... Looks like I have a coding task this weekend. )
  • Still no support for picture uploading to Blogger
  • Nice to see Blogger Labels/tags/categories supported
  • The Toolbar and Menus seem a little duplicative
    (The View, Tools and Weblog menus are duplicated in the toolbar). Feels a little cluttered. And the two different toolbars seems a little weird (and the Insert menu is duplicated on the bottom menu, but in this case, I think it makes good sense).
  • The new Paste Special rocks.  :)
  • I dig the ability to save/post drafts to the blog.
  • The new Sidebar UI (with collapse/expand button) is very nice.
  • The table functionality is also very nice...

I think that's enough for now. All in all, WLW Beta 2 rocks. If you're using Windows Live Writer, upgrade to Beta 2 NOW.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup it looks pretty and works well up until I tried to post. At that it throws an error about not being able to connect to the xmlrpc.php file - which is right there in the root where it has always been and worked fine in previous version.

So at this point the ey candy is nice but useless.

Anonymous said...

Just installed the new WLW Beta 2. The option to change your default home page can be unchecked during installation.

Greg said...

Yep Jason, it sure can...

That's why I put the line, "(Easy enough to uncheck, and I understand this is a free, not even ad supported application, but still...) "

Greg said...

To close the loop...

Steven, working with the outstanding MS WLW team, solved his problem (which was related to Bad Behavior plugin for WordPress). Check out this post for more details...