Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Deploying a VB6 App when using the Interop Forms Toolkit

The Visual Basic Team - Deploying Applications with the InteropForms 2.0 toolkit

"...

To save you some time, here's what we recommend in general with building mixed apps.

a) Use the Interop Forms Toolkit to build Interop Usercontrols instead of Interop Forms.
b) Remove the reference to Microsoft.InteropForms.dll library unless you plan on taking advantage of some of it's functionality such as the Globals class (for sharing state) or the EventMessenger class (for raising application-level events).
c) Configure your usercontrol manifest appropriately and create an application manifest for your VB6 app so you can take advantage of Reg-free COM
d) Modify your legacy setup to copy over your new usercontrol binary and the application manifest into your application folder.

If you can do this, you can easily augment an existing application in a painless way. ...

..."

Some great tips on deploying your VB6 app if you've decided to take the Interop Forms plunge.

I've been watching the Interop Forms Toolkit space since it came out and am starting to come around. I've not yet used it, but I can't seem to kill some of my VB6 apps (funny that... how hard it is to kill/overhaul an app suite that's helping bring in some good revenue... ;) and I've come to really like .Net 2. It feels like I'm stepping back into the 90's every time I code in VB6... Wait I AM stepping back into the 90's every time fire up my VB6 brain cells! :/

Anyway... I'm starting to get over my initial hesitation about this Toolkit (I'm thinking about it like I'm adding bionic's to my VB6 apps.... making it better, stronger, yada ) and may very well use it in production... maybe...

When/if I do, the above post will come in handy...

Related Past Post XRef:
Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit Rev'ed to 2.0

No comments: