Wednesday, February 20, 2008

TFS Administration Tool - Having a problem installing v1.3 after having upgraded to TFS2008? Here's your ticket to v1.2 freedom...

Have you upgraded from TFS2005 to TFS2008?

Already had the TFS Administration Tool v1.2 installed and now want to upgrade it to v1.3 (with its 2008 support)?

When you try, are you getting the "A previous version is already installed, using Add/Remove Programs to uninstall it" Windows Installer message?

When you try to uninstall v1.2 are you getting a "Team Explorer is not installed" error message (even through you've confirmed that it IS installed)?

Now you're stuck because you can't uninstall v1.2 and it doesn't work anyway because it can't find the v8 Team Foundation assemblies and yet you can't get v1.3 installed?

 

Well here's your ticket to v1.2 freedom; Today I have finally found a solution that worked for me.

 

This is a related thread I started on the CodePlex project (Uninstalling 1.2 If You've Already Upgraded Team Explorer to 2008?), which I've copied here...

Okay, here's how I was able to uninstall it (and get 1.3 installed and working).

  1. I downloaded and installed the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (aka MSICUU2) from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
  2. I launched the "Windows Install Clean Up" from the Start menu
  3. Scrolled through the list until I found TFS Administration Tool 1.2.0
  4. Selected it and clicked on the Remove button.
  5. Then I was able to install 1.3, but...
  6. When I tried to launch 1.3, the files for 1.2 were still there (so I got an error that it couldn't find the Team Explorer v8 files...).
  7. I then uninstalled 1.3 (which removed all the 1.2 files, start menu items, etc)
  8. I then re-installed 1.3

NOW it works! Yeah!

If I had manually deleted the files after step #4, I'd probably been able to install 1.3 and run it the first time through (as the Windows Installer Clean Up utility ONLY cleans up/removes stuff from the Windows Installer database and DOES NOT actually uninstall a product... )

I hope this helps anyone running into the same issue...

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Team Foundation Server Administration Tool 1.3 Released (with TFS2008 Support)
TFS Administration Tool 1.2 Released
TFS Permission Manager 1.5 Released
TFS Permission and Administration Tools
TFS Administration Tool

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Worked like a champ! Thanks!