Monday, July 14, 2008

Rosario April 2008 CTP VHD to Hyper-V in 8 Steps

How Steve Got Burned Today - How To: Get the TFS "Rosario" April 08 CTP running under Hyper-V

“I just finished getting the TFS Codename "Rosario" April 2008 CTP running under Hyper-V.  Because Hyper-V is a different animal than Virtual Server, I had some "head scratching" moments.  I wound up doing a fair bit of research and asking for help before I was finally able to get it up and running on my Dell Latitude D630. 

In this article I'll give a run down of the steps I used to get it running as well as some of the issues that may be purely due to running this on a laptop using Windows Server 2008 as a workstation.  There will be plenty of linked articles.  I'll point out the salient issues from each that helped me get up and running, but I recommend that you read the articles to get the complete Hyper-V picture.

What you will need

  • The Visual Studio® Team System Code Name "Rosario" April 2008 CTP (see Step 1 for links)
  • A Windows Server 2003 ISO or Disk - any version (see Step 8)

…”

I really want to start playing with Windows Server 2008 and Hyper-V, but don’t yet have any compatible hardware. Need to put in a request this week…

Anyway, when that hardware comes in (comment deleted about the length of time it will take to get said hardware) I think Steve’s tip might coming in handy. Not just for Rosario but for other Virtual PC/Virtual Server VHD’s too.

No comments: