Friday, August 15, 2008

SSDS SDK Released (Beta)

Microsoft Downloads - SQL Server Data Services (SSDS) SDK (Beta)

“This is a beta version of the Software Development Kit for SSDS including tools and client side components useful to developers building applications against SSDS.

File Name: SDK.msi
Version: 1.0
Date Published: 8/15/2008
Language: English
Download Size: 748 KB


The .msi installs tools, browser support and documentation. Both the command line and the GUI tool allow you to create/update/delete/query the service. For complete documentation see MSDN at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678662.aspx.

…”

SQL Server Data Services Developer Center - SSDS SDK Tools

“…

SQL Server Data Services provides following tools to help developers learn and explore the service.

SSDS Command Line Tool

SSDS Explorer

…”

SSDS SDK Tools - SSDS Explorer

“…

SSDS Explorer is a general purpose data manipulation tool for use with SQL Server Data Services (SSDS). The tool provides a graphical interface to explore SSDS without having to write any code. It supports POST (create), PUT (update), GET (retrieve), DELETE, and Query operations.

…

SSDS

…”

SSDS is one of those tech’s that I want to start playing with (I’m in the beta, but haven’t found the time to start coding it yet.. imagine that? :/  ). Assuming there’s a solid uptime for it [cough… recent “cloud” service’s issues… cough] I’d like to see how the post in-house relational DB world is going to shake out (or not).

The tools in the SDK look to be a nice help in getting an SSDS dev going. Sure the Explorer is a little… um… functional looking… um… yeah… right now, but come on, it’s no worse than what you’d probably knock out as a quick test harness either (matter of fact I swear I’ve written that UI a number of times… ;)

In any case, if you’re coding against SSDS, then these tools could come in handy…

No comments: