Monday, October 05, 2009

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Troubleshooting for Dummies (like me)

Righthand’s Blog - Investigating Windows BSOD cause for dummies

“Does your Windows displays nice, we all love, BSOD once in a while or perhaps, god forbid, often? There are two most plausible suspects for this behavior. And no, it is rarely Windows fault. Instead it is either hardware or driver and I won’t even dig into the quality of drivers produced by various hardware companies.

But the big question here is, which one? Which driver? Which hardware? It is even harder to pinpoint the cause in case when BSOD occurs at random times. Luckily there is a tool that might shade some light on the mystery and point cyber finger at the offending driver: Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows.

Righthand's blog - Investigating Windows BSOD cause for dummies

…”

I so rarely get BSOD’s anymore that when I do I have to relearn what to do to hunt down the reason. Also I’ve never used WinDbg much (yeah, yeah, I know there goes what little geek cred I had… lol  ;), so I found this post a nice, simple and short primer.

(via Bite my bytesLinks of the week #92)

No comments: