Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Windows Live Writer, the Twitter plugin and changing its URL Shorter

whateverblog - Using alternative URL shorteners with Twitter Notify plugin

“Hopefully, folks who use both Windows Live Writer and Twitter know about the Twitter Notify plugin we released in December. Out of the box, it uses the venerable (but still awesome) TinyURL service to shorten the URL to your blog post.

However, if you prefer a different URL shortening service, like is.gd or snipr, you might be able to get the plugin to use that instead, with a simple registry tweak.

image-thumb1

image

…”

It’s an somewhat of an oldie, but that doesn’t make it any less valuable.

I have my Windows Live Writer hooked to automatically tweet when I post via the Twitter Notify plugin. I like this approach because I can very easily modify the tweet before it goes out and the tweet happens immediately.

Yet I was considering moving to a different approach because I thought that it was tied to tinyurl and some of my tweeps are blocked from that service.

That was until Scott Lovegrove let me know (via twitter…lol) that I was being a lamer and the Twitter Notify plugin does indeed support different services.

I’ve followed the instructions above and am now using bit.ly is.gd (bit.ly didn’t work out so well) Now lets see if it works… ;)

(via @scottisafooltweet)

No comments: