Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Microsoft Desktop Player [Beta] – Your IT/Development Video/Cast/Whitepaper/Link/News Console

TechNet Flash Feed - Announcing the Microsoft Desktop Player

“Check out the Microsoft Desktop Player, now in beta, to find contextual content for IT professionals and developers based on your adoption lifecycle. The Desktop Player filters content by topic based on your role and where you are in your adoption lifecycle. It also surfaces local resources based on your zip code.

Find videos, webcasts, podcasts, whitepapers and relevant links based on your specific criteria. And get a feed of the latest news for IT pros.

…”

Microsoft Desktop Player

image

From the download EULA;

“… The Microsoft TechNet Desktop Player (the “PLAYER”) is a content aggregator that surfaces filtered content that exist at Microsoft across various engines that have relevant contextual content for the user.  …”

Anyway here’s a snap of the downloaded/installed version (which is NOT OOB Silverlight which surprised me);

image

Also note that this is currently IT focused. For example, when I search for “SilverLight” I get 11 webcast hits.

But again, this IS beta, so maybe more videos/casts/etc will come online down the line.

image

image 

To repeat one of my standard requests… I want something like this for ALL Microsoft Conferences (all of which should be exposed via a single OData endpoint). A MS Conference Player… I appreciate that this Player is doing something like that, but only for TechNet content (?) and only via term searching. I know, I know, I should shut up and just do it. I have much/most of the data already, but… sigh… maybe I will, at least as a tool to help me learn SilverLight. ;)

No comments: