Tuesday, March 09, 2010

XNA Game Studio 4 News (GDC 2010)

XNA Creators Online - GDC 2010

“This week at GDC, we’re unveiling XNA Game Studio 4.0! This latest version provides a powerful, productive, and portable technology for game development on Windows Phone 7 Series, Xbox 360, and Windows PC.

New to XNA Game Studio 4.0

  • Hardware accelerated 3D API’s on Windows Phone 7 Series
  • Visual Studio 2010 integration with our toolset
  • Added buffered audio support to the Audio API’s
  • And much, much more!

…”

It makes me a little sad that my Zune is being ignored… Poor Zune… :(

I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed that the Zune deployment story was going to get better. When I heard WinPhone7 was going to be a Silverlight & XNA development platform my hopes increased even more.

We’ll see…

(via LiveSide - XNA Game Studio 4.0 unveiled at GDC)

 

Update #1 03/09/2010 @ 11:55AM:

XNA Creators Online - XNA Game Studio 4.0 FAQ

“…

Q: When will XNA Game Studio 4.0 be available?
A: XNA Game Studio 4.0 will be available for download in the coming month. Additional information can be found online at the XNA Creators Club Online site at http://creators.xna.com.

…”

Michael Klucher's Blog - Achievement Unlocked: XNA Game Studio 4.0 for Windows Phone

“…

When we first announced XNA was a development platform for the Windows Phone 7 Series last week and followed up with some real-time Twitter Q&A (@WP7Dev), we got a lot of questions about Zune/Zune HD and how that will work with XNA Game Studio 4.0. Development for the Zune and Zune HD will continue to exist in XNA Game Studio 3.1, however, in XNA Game Studio 4.0, we’re encouraging you to migrate your games over to the Windows Phone 7 Series platform. [GD: Emphasis added]…”

Poor Zune… Pisses me off a little. I hate seeing the power of my Zune pretty much wasted and locked away.

Now if WinPhone7 devices come out and are even better than my Zune HD (more storage, a great phone, a great media player, works with the Zune Pass, works seamlessly with the Zune software, etc), I might feel better. I need a new phone anyway… ;)

 

(via @majornelsonTweet)

No comments: