Friday, April 09, 2010

10 MEF’Tastic reasons to use MEF – If you’re writing your own “plugin” framework, stop now and check out MEF now (you won’t likely be sorry)

Jeremy Likness' Blog - Ten Reasons to use the Managed Extensibility Framework

“One question I'm commonly asked is, "Why do I need the Managed Extensibility Framework? How do I know when to use it?" In addition to that really being two questions, I'm not sure I can tell you the top ten reasons to use MEF or whether or not it is the right tool for you. Instead, as a hands-on consultant who has been using MEF in production applications since the earlier previews, I can share ten reasons why I've used it in my development projects and prefer it over over other frameworks.

Reason One: It's out of the box.

image

…”

I find it interesting that it seems that MEF isn’t getting more “airplay”. When I ask around the office, “You’re doing Plugin’s… Have you heard of MEF?” I get, “???”

Now I totally understand that not everyone is a news hound like me, enjoys keeping up with the very latest news and developments, but still… I feel that MEF is going to enable foundational changes to how we, the general Line of Business app developers, design, build and maintain our applications. We all like “addin’s/Plug-in’s” right? We all see the power and flexibility they provide? Don’t you want to include that kind of thing in YOUR applications? The stop reading this and go check out MEF… Now…

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Coding plugin support into your app, because coding is for fun!
Plug into MEF in 10 minutes or less
Best of UK MSDN Flash 2009 eBook
Bart’s Beautiful and Benevolent Personally Guided, “from the Why to the How,” Tour of MEF – The 30+ page tome edition (aka INSERT MEF.* INTO Your.Brain)
Fan (i.e. someone not on the team) MEF Tutorial and Hands On Lab
Getting MEF’ed in 20’ish lines of code - A short and code focused MEF introduction
The Redmond Developer & Kathleen Dollard get MEF’ed with VB
Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) CTP2 Released – Now with the full source
The Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) CTP Released (Not to be confused with the Managed Addin Framework [MAF] which became System.Addin)

1 comment:

Betty said...

I thought MAF was more suited to plugin development and MEF was more useful for things like dependency injection.