“This training kit is a great resource for developers, trainers, consultants and evangelists who need to understand SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 improvements from a developer perspective. It contains a rich set of presentations, demos, hands-on labs and videos that are perfect for self-paced learning or for conducting your own training.
File Name: SQL2008R2UpdateForDevsTrainingKit.Setup.20110118.exe
Date Published: 1/18/2011
The January 2011 update includes lots of great new content and several usability improvements. More details on what’s new are provided below.
The easiest way to get started with the training kit is to download it, install it, open default.htm and browse the kit for the content that you are most interested in. Many of the presentations and demos in the training kit include a video that you can watch to familiarize yourself with the content. When you are ready for some hands-on experience, try installing one of the demos or hands-on labs. Each of them includes a configuration wizard that simplifies installation.
New Content: Build Your First Microsoft BI Solution with SQL Server 2008 R2
This update includes a rich new set of content designed for developers who want to learn how to build their first Microsoft Business Intelligence solution with SQL Server 2008 R2. Microsoft BI solutions leverage your existing technology investments in .NET, SQL Server and Office to develop rich integrated reporting and analytics experiences that empower users to gain access to accurate, up-to-date information for better, more relevant decision making. This content is a complete training course that contains eleven units covering all the key aspects of Microsoft BI solution development. You can find it by navigating to the Getting Started - BI Developers page. Here is a summary of what’s included:
- 31 presentations (PowerPoint slides, videos and transcripts included)
- 27 demos (installer scripts, videos and transcripts included)
- 12 hands on labs (installer scripts included)
Here is a breakdown of each unit and its associated content:
- Build Your First Microsoft BI Solution with SQL Server 2008 R2
- Introduction to BI Modeling Techniques
- Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2 Integration Services
- Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services
- Publishing and Accessing SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services Reports
- Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services
- Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services Query Syntax
- Accessing SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services Data
- Introduction to SharePoint 2010 PerformancePoint Services
- Introduction to Data Mining with SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services
- Introduction to Self-Service Reporting and Analysis with SQL Server 2008 R2
This update includes all of the content from the previous release. Here’s a quick summary of what is included:
- Getting Started Building Web Applications With SQL Server
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Update for Developers
- SQL Server 2008 Update for Developers
We’re talking 350MB of data and that doesn’t include the videos (those are linked to and streamed).
Here’s a snap of the starting page;
Here’s a quick WinDirStat snap of the contents (got to love Treemaps ;)