Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cloud Sync/Backup your Visual Studio settings with Pepper

rmaclean's blog - Pepper: A Visual Studio Settings Synchronization & Backup Extension

"Pepper is a new free extension for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 that I have created to solve a major pain which I am calling SLM (setting lifecycle management Smile with tongue out). The problem is that settings inside Visual Studio are vast & complex, and configuring your IDE is a labour of love, taking years of fine grain tweaks. I can personally trace back my settings to sometime in 2005 and have been tweaking and fiddling ever since.

Once when I moved jobs I forgot to copy my settings and VS felt broken until an ex-co worker was able to get a backup of my old laptop restored and sent me the file. Wouldn’t it be great to have a backup system in the cloud? Say on Azure?

This brings about another interesting scenario, what if I have multiple machines? Can I backup on one machine and restore on another? Giving me a synchronization system for Visual Studio settings?

Pepper does exactly that, it automates the export/import of settings and allows you to place them in a SQL Azure database! ..."

CodePlex - Pepper: A Visual Studio Settings Synchronization & Backup Extension

image

Pepper is a Visual Studio 2010 add-in which allows you to easily export your VS settings to the cloud (powered by Azure) and then downloaded & imported elsewhere.

This can be used to backup settings or to share settings across various machines!
...
Pepper is also available in the Visual Studio Gallery and within Visual Studio. It is recommended you grab it inside Visual Studio, so that you will be kept up to date with new releases!

image

..."

This looks like a very interesting project. While we wait on an official setting/extension sync from Microsoft (which I can only hope they are working on) here's another "sync" extension. And it's source available to! (Project is ad supported, remember if you like it, click it... )

I'm getting a feeling that this would be a great Coding4Fun blog post... hum... ;)

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Visual Studio Extension Sync Extension - ExtensionSync

2 comments:

David Keaveny said...

I found this simple way of using DropBox to sync your settings/snippets/custom templates.

Greg said...

Nice. Thanks David...