Monday, March 07, 2011

Building Custom Gauges for Windows Phone 7

CodeProject - Custom Gauge Controls for Windows Phone 7

"This article is the first of a series that will try to present my implementation of some custom gauge controls for WP7. This first article will present some implementation considerations and the way to use the controls. The next articles will go deeper into the problem and will try to explain the implementation of these controls.

Implementation considerations

In my opinion, a gauge should present a scale and permit multiple indicators to point to particular values within that scale. When I say “scale”, I mean everything a gauge should contain except for the indicators. This means that in my opinion, a scale should contain ticks (minor and major), labels, and ranges. I use ranges to assign different colors to different intervals in the scale. These ranges can be used to indicate below optimal, optimal, or above optimal values.

In general terms, a scale should present the user with the following properties:

...

SNAGHTML61ce4818

..."

I liked how this article introduced us to writing our own Silverlight gauge control for WP7. Looking forward to the rest of the series...

No comments: