Monday, January 16, 2012

Shining a ray of light with Azure... Using Azure to create your own ray tracer

Eternal Coding - Use the power of Azure to create your own raytracer

"The power available in the cloud is growing every day. So I decided to use this raw CPU power to write a small raytracer.

I’m certainly not the first one to have had this idea as for example Pixar or GreenButton already use Azure to render pictures.

During this article, we will see how to write our own rendering system using Azure in order to be able to realize your own 3D rendered movie.

The article will be organized around the following axis:

  1. Prerequisites
  2. Architecture
  3. Deploying to Azure
  4. Defining a scene
  5. Web server and workers roles
  6. How it works?
  7. JavaScript client
  8. Conclusion
  9. To go further

The final solution can be downloaded here and if you want to see the final result, please go there: http://azureraytracer.cloudapp.net/

...

SNAGHTMLb01e6a0image..."

Every time I see anything ray tracing I can't help but think back to my Amiga (I swear that image above was done then, back in 1989-90... ;)

Anyway... I thought this in-depth and detailed post very interesting and pretty darn complete.

(via MSDN Malaysia - Create Your Own Raytracer By Using Azure)

No comments: