It’s a very exciting week for me and my team! This week I’m attending the SNIA SDC 2012 conference in Santa Clara, CA and this is where we will announce Message Analyzer. There are so many new features and aspects to discuss, but for now I’ll leave you with the official announcement:
Microsoft Message Analyzer has been released to the public, available here:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site216 (you’ll have to join the Message Analyzer and Network Monitor program to see the downloads and access other parts of or our site.)
Meet the successor to Microsoft Network Monitor!
As you might guess from the name, Message Analyzer is much more than a network sniffer or packet tracing tool. Key capabilities include:
- Integrated "live" event and message capture at various system levels and endpoints
- Parsing and validation of protocol messages and sequences
- Automatic parsing of event messages described by ETW manifests
- Summarized grid display – top level is “operations”, (requests matched with responses)
- User controlled "on the fly" grouping by message attributes
- Ability to browse for logs of different types (.cap, .etl, .txt) and import them together
- Automatic re-assembly and ability to render payloads
- Ability to import text logs, parsing them into key element/value pairs
- Support for “Trace Scenarios” (one or more message providers, filters, and views)
We are providing this beta release to give you an opportunity to let us know what you like and don’t like and where we need to focus our energy as we drive towards a mid-2013 RTM date.
Is it weird that I get excited over a new network monitoring tool like this?
While you're there, make sure you check out the other downloads, like How to Filter.pdf, too.
Network Monitor (NetMon/NM) 3.3 Released
NetMon Parsers – Existing parsers available and more coming via CodePlex
NetMon API – Capture, Parse and and Capture File Access (with Managed P/Invoke example too)
Network Monitor 3.2 (aka NetMon, NM3) Beta Released – Now with application network conversation tracking UI
NetMon 3.1 Released
Network Monitor 3 (aka NetMon 3, aka NM3) Re-released for Vista
NetMon 3.0 RTW