"As you probably know, the various data tools ( BIDS / SSDT ) across VS2008/2010/2012 has been a bit challenging at times.
The good news is we have recently announced the release of the latest SSDT (SQL Server Data Tools), and it is available for download for both VS 2010 and VS2012.
- SSDT is available as a free component of the SQL Server platform and is available for all SQL Server users.
- SSDT targets: SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012 and SQL Azure
- SSDT was initially released on the web alongside SQL Server 2012
- SSDT with SQL Server 2012 was initially hosted in the Visual Studio 2010 SP1 shell. It can install standalone or combine with existing Visual Studio 2010 Professional SP1 or higher installations
- SSDT also shipped with Visual Studio 2012
- In Visual Studio 2012, SSDT replaced and provided conversion capability for existing Visual Studio database projects
- You can download Visual Studio 2012 from the Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2012 download site
I liked this quick summary about SSDT (and didn't realize it supported SQL Server 2005... You learn something every 53 seconds....). Also the history of it's shell usage was interesting.